[Nfb-krafters-korner] Complimnet on hand knitted sweater

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Fri Dec 9 12:59:27 UTC 2011

I went Christmas shopping with my grand daughter this week. When she arrived to pick me up, I was wearing one of my hand knitted sweaters. It is a "Red Heart" pattern for the "soft" yarn. The sweater has a turtle neck that folds down on itself, and it is sleeveless. I made it in a deep burgundy color.

My grand daughter said how much she loved my sweater. I said, "I knitted it."  She laughed and said, "Yeah, Right!"  in disbelief.  Again, I said, "Yes, I did knit it, I am not joking."  She was amazed and said It does not LOOK like it was hand knitted.  She then said she wants to make one like it - and did I still have the pattern. Before she went home that day, I gave her the pattern. It was on a label on the yarn.

I had never bought or made a sleeveless turtleneck sweater before. I alwyays thought that if it is cold enough for a turtle neck sweater, you would not want it to be sleeveless. But, when wearing my sweater I have figured out exactly why people love them. When you are shopping or out and about, wearing a jacket, it is wonderful to NOT have the bulk and weight of sleeves, inside your jacket.  It was cozy, without the bulkiness and I stayed warm without being overheated. A couple of times, I took off my jacket in stores, or whe we stopped for lunch. The sleeveless sweater felt wonderful - I was not cold at all -

I had also selected this turtleneck, sleeveless pattern because I was making it to wear under a hand knitted Swing Jacket - also a Red Heart pattern that I have made many times. So, under something hand knit, it was fantastic, too.  I was comfortable all day long.  And, I love the way a hand knit sweater "breathes" so you never get overheated.

In case you have ever thought of making a winter sweater that is sleeveless, go for it. You will absolutely love it.

Lynda River Woman

Lynda Lambert
104 River Road
Ellwood City, PA 16117