[Nfb-krafters-korner] fan and feathers -- was: Re: pattern

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 23:21:47 UTC 2011

Ok, by popular demand, here is what I remember about the fan and feathers
stitch in knitting.
I hope I can explain this as I am not one to go by patterns, hence I don't
know how patterns are written.

First, here is a general description of what the fabric will look like and
how you achieve it:

The sample swatch will have alternating columns of fans and feathers.  That
is, each row will have segments that will form a fan alternating with
segments that will look like a series of feathers.  Each fan will always be
on top of a fan on the previous row, and each string of feathers will also
be knitted over the feathers on the previous row.
The resulting swatch of fabric will look like waves or ripples of fans and
feathers.

How it is done: basically you decrease 6 times to make a fan, and increase 6
times to make the feathers, and in the end your count does not change.

Ok, here's the pattern. You can vary the number of stitches and rows to make
it as large as you want.

Row 0: Start by casting on a multiple of 18 stitches.  For our purposes, say
you cast on 36.

Row 1: make half a fan by knitting 2 stitches together 3 times. Hence you
have used 6 stitches, and have decreased them to 3 on the needle.
Now make a row of 6 feathers by increasing 6 times as follows: wrap the yarn
once around the right needle and then knit one stitch.  Repeat this 5 more
times.  Now you should have on your right hand needle the 3 stitches of the
fan followed by 12 stitches forming the feathers -- including the "yarn
over" loops which you treat as if they were stitches.
Next, knit together 2 stitches, repeated 6 times to form a full fan.
Next, yarn over and knit 6 times to form more feathers.
Finally finish with half a fan by knitting together 2 stitches 3 times.

Row 2: Perl 36 times.

Repeat rows 1 and 2 until your swatch is finished.
Note how the fans and feathers form a rounded ripply pattern.

Happy krafting.