[Nfb-krafters-korner] Cutting and working with fabric shapes

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Fri Feb 11 12:17:11 UTC 2011

I have not done a project with fabric yet, but am in the process of cutting
a star to use as an applique on a pencil bag I made for my son. I think one
could use the stars, flowers or other shapes on quilts as well? I have
always found cutting shapes like these from a template difficult, so I was
thinking of trying this method instead. I have some pinking sheers and
thought one could use them for cutting, so you will not need to fold under
the edges of the fabric or to stitch around it with a serger or zigzag
stitch. I find the pinking sheers difficult to use, though. I have done some
very basic applique work using decorative stitches on my sewing machine, but
I don't think it will work well for more intricate shapes like stars or
flowers?
Lindy