[Nfb-krafters-korner] Fabric question

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Fri Feb 11 13:00:13 UTC 2011

Hi Dixie,
I have not done a lot of quilting, so perhaps others might have more ideas
for sorting and storing. I mostly use long pins with plastic heads for
sewing. I find them much easier to work with than the pins with the small
metal heads. If my fabric feels the same on both sides, I will first ask
someone to check if it actually has a right and wrong side since some
fabrics not only feels the same on both sides but also looks the same. If
the fabric has a right and wrong side, I will usually mark the piece by
holding the fabric so the right side is nearest me and inserting the pin so
the plastic head indicates the right side of the fabric.
With the star and the flower, only one cut is required per shape, so you
should be able to keep track since you are folding in a sequence. You might
first want to cut all your scrap fabric into similar sized squares, though.
If you have many different scraps of fabric, perhaps you can ask someone to
help you sort it into different piles of matching or complementary colors
and, at the same time, help you to pin the pieces on top of each other with
the right sides on top and the wrong side facing down. You could do this
before or after the cutting process or after both.
I hope I am making sense here. Perhaps others can explain better or has some
ideas on this subject. I'd love to hear how others do this too.
Lindy