[Nfb-krafters-korner] My apology and more

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Sun Jan 9 12:59:26 UTC 2011

Hello List,

I did not have any time this past week to check e-mail, so I was quite
shocked yesterday to read what had transpired here on the list.  I am truly
sorry that my attempt at getting us as a list to brainstorm ideas on how to
grow and expand turned into a big mess.  I think this was primary the result
of the down-side of using a text format for communication.  How someone
writes something is not guaranteed to be interpreted by the recipient as it
was intended by the sender.  Plus given the lack of being able to see and
hear the person during the conversation also leaves out essential pieces of
communication.  Please do not get on me for using the word "seeing".  I am
using it loosely to represent being in the presence of someone.  Even with
that said, I do include the intake of visual information.  Now back to what
I was saying.  E-mail also has a delay factor that can cause people's
feeling to fester.  During a a phone conversation or face to face
conversation you can immediately amend what you said if the listener
miss-understood before the listener's emotions have time to grow.

So again, let me say that I apologize that my post to this group caused so
much grief.  With that said, I still believe that e-mail is the place to
discuss matters that effect the entire list.  However, maybe we need to talk
about whether it should be done here, or whether the expectation is to have
these types of discussions off list via e-mail.  I do not promote this as it
would require each member to set up a distribution list in there personal
e-mail program with all members e-mail addresses.  Of course, this would
need to be managed as people join and drop out.  I know I do not have time
to do this, and I'm guessing that we have other members on the list who
would not even know how to even get started with setting up a personal
distribution list.  The other idea would be to have the discussion via
conference call.  This would not work for me as I have trouble getting to
the Monday Night Chats and classes.  These are only my views, and I totally
get that 100 percent of a group cannot be satisfied 100 percent of the time.

So with all of that said, I do have an idea to share on how we might be able
to expand what we do to educate everyone and anyone on how someone who is
blind can do a craft, but I am unsure about posting it to the list.  And on
the other hand, I think sharing it with the board first will limit the
initial formation of the idea  that reflects the ideas of the membership.

I am not trying to start up another round of trouble, but I think this is
all growing pains as we explore how to manage this 21st century endeavor.
Please give me constructive feedback on whether I should post my idea here
or share it in some other way.

Annette