[Nfb-krafters-korner] Crazy quilts

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Jan 9 19:21:21 UTC 2011

Crazy Quilts are generally sewn with random shapes and random  fabrics.
They can be sewn directly to a blanket or just as a quilt block  that would
need to be assembled with batting and backing.  Either as you go  along
creating this or after it is done it is embellished with pieces of lace,  buttons
ribbons or whatever.

I believe , but am not sure as my Grandma made these type of quilts that
they were made out of old garments and Grandma would put these fabrics on a
cotton blanket.  She would include the buttons, bows, beads from a favorite
broche that she had liked especially with a dress that was used in the
quilt.

After I went blind I started one of these quilts, but I purchased all kinds
 of fat quarters and I randomly cut shapes and strips to practice how a
blind  person could cut fabrics and I started out with a piece of fabric face
up and  then sewed other pieces of fabric right side facing and sewed it to
the other  piece.  Then I would turn that piece facing up and build other
pieces on  top of what I had there.It created finished edges as I went along
and when I got  it finished I had my Mom trim the edges even and I put a
border on the outside.I  had cut muslem blocks and quilt batting so when I had
done a block I hand sewed  the blocks together and with my sewing the
different fabrics from the top to the  two other layers it created a machine quilted
random design on the back side and  it gave demension on the top side.