[Nfb-krafters-korner] Greg, Further History on Pony Beads

AUDREY WELLNER rencraft at snet.net
Mon Jan 10 00:13:01 UTC 2011

Hi Greg,
   Although Joyce's information is the more acceptable romanticized rendition of the origin of the "pony" bead I thought you might be interested in reading the deeper historical version written by a man named O.Ned that I respect as a keeper of tradition. If you enjoy historical facts than you'll enjoy reading into this bit of history.

http://www.thefurtrapper.com/trade_beads.htm

  When I lived in West Virginia for almost 3 years, I contracted viral pneumonia quite severely that  lasted over 6 months, rendering me hospitalized and completely bedridden for almost 2 months during its siege. During this time people brought me copies of the West Virginia Highway magazines that I loved to look at. In there was an article on the Mountain Men's Rendezvous and I became so enthralled by the fact that it was going to be held in that state in the spring I was determined to get better so that I might be able to attend. Well the day came and we traveled for many an hour and finally found the encampment on the back fields of some body's large farm (before GPS). There was a hand written sign posted on a tree that stated no vehicles were allowed into the encampment. My hopes fell to the pits of my feet. We had traveled so long it was getting dark and I was so weak that I knew I couldn't walk in. My friend then asked someone if we might have
 special permission and told them of my plight. And that's when it started. It was like peeling back the skins of time. I see a whole bunch of men with muskets scatter as we drove down a tiny dirt road to a small wooden bridge crossing a stream in the middle of no-where. On the other side of the bridge was a small regime of musketed men with a little carriage. I was asked if I could walk across the bridge and I did. We boarded the small carriage and very slowly was escorted into the encampment by the guard. I felt so honored and privileged. They didn't even know me! We passed by an officer's white canvased tent, complete with chandelier, rope bed with feather quilts and a huge traveling chest and were taken to the biggest tepee I've ever seen in my life.
  The guard announced that there was a traveler wishing to be granted access and it was approved. They parted and I saw in front of me, around a small fire, several mountain men a few Indians with squaws and officers in uniform. I never expected to have been so welcomed and so quickly drawn in by strangers.We spent several hours, talking, singing old camp songs, drinking coffee until the night chill was too much for me to bear. This was definitely the deciding moment for me to go on to becoming for several years, an American Revolution re-enactor and later to go further back in research to taking up membership in the SCA as a 5th century person of Ely, England where I learned a considerable amount about my first name.
  History is so interesting.
  Sorry for the long post, thought people would get enjoyment from the reading.
  Audrey Wellner, Secretary
  Krafters Korner division
PS Greg, What part of NC are you in. I also spent time in Mars Hill. Back sometime ago I think you mentioned about needing cut cut pieces of yarn used in rug latching or hooking. I've found some I'm not using, can you use them? I've held up offering because I know I have more around here some place and I've been trying to find them. Darn little things are hiding.