[Nfb-krafters-korner] pony bead patterns

Zimmer, Cindy cindy.zimmer at nebraska.gov
Wed Jan 12 22:13:59 UTC 2011

The projects that I just looked at on the internet are strung similar to the snowflake project that Laurie (hope I have the right name) taught us.  You string the pony beads on in rows and bring the cord through the row from the right toward the left, then bring the cord on the left through the beads to the right.  At the top of the project you have two cords.  One that goes through the beads left to right and the other that goes right to left.  If you are at the END of a row and it is to be free beads standing alone such as a spider's leg, you then just wrap the cord around the end bead and continue back down the same way you came from.

Here is a pattern for a lady bug keychain that I found and I have written the pattern out for everyone to follow.

Lady Bug
Pony Bead Pattern

You need:

 *   20 Black Pony Beads<http://www.makingfriends.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=5BC-1PB>
 *   38 Red Pony Beads<http://www.makingfriends.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=5BC-1PB>
 *   2 Yards Satin Cord<http://www.makingfriends.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=1&Category_Code=5BC-1PB>
 *   1 Lanyard Hook<http://www.makingfriends.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=1&Product_Code=1800-53>

Basic Instructions:
Fold your ribbon in half to find the center. Use a half hitch to secure it to lanyard hook. Lace beads using the pattern:

Row 1: 3 black

Row 2: 4 black

Row 3: 2 red, 1 black, 2 red

Row 4: 1 red, 1 black, 1 red, 1 black, 1 red, 1 black, 1 red

Row 5: 4 red, 1 black, 4 red

Row 6: 1 red, 1 black, 2 red, 1 black, 2 red, 1 black, 1 red

Row 7: 4 red, 1 black, 4 red

Row 8: 1 red, 1 black, 1 red, 1 black, 1 red, 1 black, 1 red

Row 9:  2 red, 1 black, 2 red

[http://www.makingfriends.com/images/p_lady.gif]

At the end when you wrap through the final row, you would tie a knot in the cord to finish off.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cindy Z.