[Nfb-krafters-korner] to everyone

Eileen Scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Fri Jan 14 19:05:34 UTC 2011

I agree that positive comments were addressed and we have decided on how to
move along and better the divisions activities by respecting copy right laws
& ownership of copyrighted materials.

Yes, Joyce said that the instructor's own their own materials and that the
KKD will  not sell recorded materials.

With the wonderful input that Donna Hill brought to the meeting with her
vast knowledge on copy right law and what constitutes copy righted materials
I believe we now all have a better and clearer understanding of it, how it
works and that it needs to be respected by everyone; the KKD, the
instructors  For
& the students.  For those who do not know, Donna Hill is currently teaching
a knitting class for the KKD, she is the Head of Media Relations for the
NFB's Performing Artists Division, she has 2 cd's on cd Baby, & she is the
author of 2 books.  I think her presence helped to bring calm and focus to
last night's meeting.

I believe that it was agreed that the KKD will work on making adaptations
to the KKD's web site so that agreements on copy can be clearly stated and
put into a written type of format for students, instructors & the KKD.  This
would be accomplished at time a student signs up for a class, just as when
an NLS book is downloaded, you agree that the class recordings and any
handouts are for your own personal use and not to be sold or given out (a
matter of either clicking a button or checking a box indicating your
agreement or disagreement).

Second, that when instructors submit a proposal there will be a box or some
kind of selection to choose if they donate/give rights to the
recordings/materials to the NFB KKD or they do not give away but choose to
keep their rights for themselves.  I hope to that in the email acknowledging
and accepting a class proposal that gets sent to instructors, it will be set
in place that a statement may be put into that message acknowledging the
agreement between instructor & NFB KKD.  This will cover all basis and
protect everyone.  And it can serve as one last safe guard to disagreement
if something has been incorrectly clicked it can be cleared up prior to a
class.
In essence, we agreed that the current very casual way of doing these things
cannot continue and that for the protection of all concerned we do it more
formally.

Also, if patterns from the internet be used for a class it is proper to post
the link so people can go and get that pattern themselves, credit must
always be given to the copyright holder along with the link (if available)
and, an it is important to email the copyright holder asking their
permission to use the pattern, letting them know you would like to use the
pattern for a knit along for this division.  I have found in most cases
people are very reasonable and will give the thumbs up, but if they give a
negative response, their copy right must be respected.  As explained to me
accessibility & copy right are two separate things, making something
accessible does not mean you are complying with copy right law.  The NLS
once told me that just because someone is blind that does not give them the
legal right to take copyrighted materials and distribute it or sell it.
Making copyrighted materials accessible does not over ride copyright laws as
I understand it.

The KKD will only save for a short period of time the class recordings that
will give students & instructors sufficient time to go and download
recordings they may want.  After that passage of time, the recordings will
not be kept & stored by NFB KKd, it is up to instructors to be responsible
and download to their own computers the recordings they want.

Any class handouts written by instructors only need the slightest copyright
mark to be considered the intellectual property of the author of those
written materials.  These written handouts are also only for the use of
those students in the class and intended for personal use only.

Finally the last topic that I was able to hear being covered was the issue
of teaching techniques.  A technique like making a Knit stitch or plastic
canvas "X" stitch is a technique.  While a "technique" is not copyrightable,
the words and language used to describe those techniques verbal or written
is copy rightable.  Yes anyone can teach a technique, but you need to
develop your own language and descriptions to convey that material to others
to make it your own original idea.  Pulling out a knitting book and reading
the words from that book to teach the knit stitch is not your own original
work, you would then be using someone elses copy righted materials.