[Nfb-krafters-korner] making palm baskets

Carol Osmar osmarc at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jan 29 18:57:52 UTC 2011

I have to tell you all about my morning.  We were walking down
the street in Key west and a man was sitting on the sidewalk
making baskets.  We stopped and I asked him if he would teach me
how to do it.  He said he charges 40 dollars to teach how to make
a basket.  So he taught me how to make a basket from coconut palm
leaves.  He was a nice guy and a patient teacher.  Of course I
was the first blind person he ever taught so it was a challenge
for him to verbalize the directions but he did a pretty good job
of it.  I can't say I could make a palm basket by myself now, but
it was fun and I have a pretty good idea of how it is done.  I
got to keep the basket I made and he also gave me a basket and a
hat he made.

I am usually a quiet, introverted person so this was certainly
out of my comfort zone but I am glad I did it.

Henrietta, I think ed will send Dan pictures.

P.  S.  I gave him a twenty dollar tip and I think he got some
free advertising.