[Nfb-krafters-korner] Cobolt color identifier

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Mon Jan 31 06:53:00 UTC 2011

Ok now you mentioned reed dying.  Now since I am caning chairs let me  tell
you up front the cane reed is light almost a white in color so I have been
told.  Now if they get more then one chair in and have to match it, they
have to stain it.  Totally something I could not do.  The 2 woman that  are
the bosses having been doing this type of work for a long time and even to
hear them trying to decide back and forth and they can see sounds like a
job.  The cane darkens up as it ages so even with a clear finish that I
believe they use it will change colors in time.

If I were to do baskets I think I would keep the reed the natural colors,
but that is my  opinion.

With the rush chairs that they do that is supposely like a brown paper bag
color and it is paper.  You can get other materials to do the rush chairs,
but I am guessing it is much more expenseive and the place I am working at
does  not use the other materials.  They will refer folks to others that do
use  different materials.  A rush chair seat does not take as long to
replace as  a caned chair seat.  A lady came in with a chair out of rush and I am
not  sure if it was out of cat tails or something like that.  She was told
she  could take it to this other place and it would cost probably $200 or
more.   She quoted half that price for it to be done with us.  I do know that
we  have some folks that have done a rush chair in 2 days time.  That is 10
to  3:30 p.m. with plenty of coffee breaks, going outside to smoke breaks and
lunch  break, too.

I don't like to take breaks as I want to get to the next step in the
chair.  I do eat lunch

In a message dated 1/30/2011 7:15:11 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,