[Nfb-krafters-korner] Hand building with clay

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Sat Jul 2 18:26:49 UTC 2011

Hi Georgia,
I can help with your question- use slabs to go around the balloon. Make them
thinnner than usual, so they can be most flexable - it is NOT easy to get
them around that darn balloon sometimes -

Yes, I am messy, too. It is messy business working with clay - or actually
most art is very messy - but that is the fun of it - you can be a child and
enjoy being messy and it's ok.

Some things you can add to your collection from the kitchen- a wooden spoon
or paddle...for beating the clay and forming it and removing finger marks
and things you want to get out of the clay. I use a paddle when working with
coils, to smooth them out.

I also use nice river stones that are smooth to rub over the surbaces -
evens them out, and you get a really nice patina finish - this is what the
Native American potters use. They also use broken pot shards for this
purpose.

More items you might use:  a wood rular to make straight lines - I like the
wooden one because you can cut along the edge with a knife - I use one all
the time when I am working with slabs.

Also, lacy doilies from the dollar store - you can roll the impression into
your slab surface and get a beautiful effect.

Try anything that comes to your mind.

Happy 4th to all - I am home and must working on my eBay store over the
weekend as it takes me a LONG time to get my pictures done, edited, and
posted on the site. It takes me about 3 days from beginning to end, to get
the photos done before I get them listed. but, that is another topic for
another day.  Lynda River Woman