[Nfb-krafters-korner] membership

eileen scrivani etscrivani at verizon.net
Thu Jul 28 03:43:40 UTC 2011

Dixie & Gail:

I agree with both of you 100 percent.  The costs to the NFB KKD must be
negligible in comparison to what gets collected through the payment of dues.
So far as I and everyone else is aware, the teachers give of their time and
knowledge freely so the funds are not being collected to pay instructors.
And I've never heard any volunteer instructors say they want to be paid,
they have all been generous in giving freely of themselves.

I' was a paid member since the first year of the group and as I recall the
collecting of annual dues started in 2008, not just 2010.  This has been the
one and only year since the beginning that the bottom line was the only
number shared. I never heard any proper recording of the treasury that
details what came in and what went out with a listing of what the payments &
expenses were.

Why in fact are dues being collected if they are not benefiting a project or
program that will benefit all blind/visually impaired crafters?  I
understand that some portion might be given to the NFB national to help
offset some of their costs, but have never been given an explanation of what
is done with any of the funds from Krafters Korner dues.  Ten dollars is not
a bank breaker for most people, but it would be the proper thing to spell
out what happens to the collection as a entirety which over a 3 year period
has to have grown.

The question is not what people get for their $10, but where is the $10's
going to because they all add up to a much larger amount.

Eileen