[Nfb-krafters-korner] Tip of the Week - Organization of materials

Neva Fairchild nevafairchild at verizon.net
Sun Jun 5 16:35:46 UTC 2011

I use lots of different methods to organize supplies.

1. Rubber band skeins of yarn, tubes of beads or anything else that matches
together. Sometimes I don't need to know what color they are, I just need to
know they match.
2.  Mark file folders with card stock, ink pads, stamp sets, individual
stamps, etc. with braille labels. If the item is too small for the actual
word, as in the case of individual stamps within a stamp set, I mark them
with a braille number and have an Excel spreadsheet with the name of the
stamp set and the number of each stamp associated with a verbal description.
I have to get help with these descriptions, and sometimes they are more
detailed than I could ever put on anything with a braille label. I also use
the number sign and the number so I am sure which way is up, and I place the
label on the stamp so that I know where the top of the image is.
3. Sort matching larger beads into small bowls, stack bowls that blend and
use beads from them as they are strung for bracelets or necklaces. The same
concept works with zip loc bags, paper sacks, Tupperware or any container
that is the right size for the supply it will hold. Putting smaller
containers within larger ones when the items can be used together works well
for scrapbook embellishments, etc..
4. Use banker boxes to keep projects together. All my Christmas projects are
in one box, all my baby projects in another, etc.. That way when I want to
work on something I don't have to look everywhere for the pieces. They also
stack nicely, are inexpensive and have lids and handle holes that make them
easy to grab and carry. I also use bags for soft projects like knitting.
Sometimes it means having more needles or hooks, but it is worth it when I
want to grab a project and go.

Neva Fairchild
972 416-7039