[Nfb-krafters-korner] Tip of the Week - Learning a new craft - WAS: Getting Started

slerythema slerythema at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 06:19:01 UTC 2011

Annette,

I am so glad to hear your recommendation of needle size. Now I can back up
my reasons for having beginners use those sizes. I once had a conversation
where the person did not want to use a needle that small (I don't consider
these small). The person wanted to use a 15 because they thought they would
be able to handle a bigger needle better.

My rationale for using between 8-10 is that the needle is a nice size to
hold and your stitches are neither too big, nor too small. At this size, the
stitch will be nice and tidy so that you can feel how the stitch is supposed
to be made. Once you are comfortable with actually knitting, you can then
try the super bulky yarn. It has been my experience that the bigger needles
make your loop too big to actually go through the proper loop when you are
just learning to knit. If you know how the stitch feels, you will be able to
decipher where to place your needle in these big loops.

Cindy S.

et.org/amcarr1

%40verizon.net

Nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org