[Nfb-krafters-korner] Cardboard Loom

Dixie blueherons at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 2 12:59:16 UTC 2011

We used to use them to make woven cloth shoulder bags.  We would make 2
pieces and then sew the two together on 3 sides. Or else make one long piece
we could fold in half.    Then attach a rope along the 2 sewn side edges to
make the shoulder strap.

As for the different textures, that gives the piece interest!  My mother
used to weave part way across from one side with a thick yarn, and coming in
from the other side with a thinner yarn.  She would for example go across 10
strands with the thick and 5 with the thin.  She would do this for a couple
rows.  Then she would start decreasing the number of bars she would weave
with the thicker yarn and start increasing the number of bars she wove with
the thinner yarn.    She might have ended when there were 10 of the thinner
yarns and 5 of the thicker yarn.  Or she would weave in one row of really,
really thick yarn, something that was many times thicker than the other
yarns.  All to give the piece visual and textural interest.

 Dixie