[Nfb-krafters-korner] Update to Accessible Origami Project

Lindy van der Merwe stephlin at iafrica.com
Tue Mar 15 08:53:49 UTC 2011

Hi to all, and welcome to the new members. I am Lindy, from Cape Town, South Africa. I enjoy different crafts, including sewing, mosaic work, and especially paper crafts like card making, scrap booking and origami aka paper folding.
I am currently considering trying out the nifty knitter.
Regarding origami, I would like to thank all the people who have contacted me regarding the accessible origami project. Your interest and encouragement is much appreciated.

For any new members and anybody that may be interested, I have started compiling
the second file in the "Accessible Origami" file series. Four models are available
so far, while the first file, comprising 20 models, can be downloaded from
http://mysite.mweb.co.za/
 residents/ stephlin/
The new models are the following:
MDL0021 - ORIGAMI - BULKY BOWL
MDL0022 - ORIGAMI - HEART (from a square)
MDL0023 - ORIGAMI - SQUARE BASKET
MDL0024 - ORIGAMI - POCKET CARD
However, if you don't want to bother with the site, simply e-mail me and I will send
you everything that is available so far in a txt file attachment.
I am still building a list of interested people, who will receive updates and new
info as I make it available.
If you would like to be added to my list, My e-mail is
stephlin at iafrica.com
Below you will find my original introduction to the accessible origami project.
Don't hesitate to write to me for any info or help with folding.
Lindy
  Some months ago, I became interested in the art of paper folding,
also known as origami. To do this as a craft or hobby, you only need paper, a hard,
flat surface and, as I found out, some instructions on how to fold one of the thousands
of models available on the Internet and in books.
  Origami can be a relaxing hobby, yet it can also be a challenging art form.
It is a quiet, portable craft. You can take it
    wherever you go and you can do a lot with
whatever you fold, etc, etc.
Like with lots of other materials, the instructions are, unfortunately, for the most
part, only available in a visual format, called diagrams.
Where text is used, it often relies on accompanying illustrations or photos.
  As I started to pursue the hobby and became more interested in origami, I found
it was necessary to write down instructions in a text-only format after I mastered
folding a model, so I could refer back to them later.
My instructions kept piling up and I decided to compile them into a file series and
make them available to visually impaired people for free.
And so the Accessible Origami Project was born!
  The first file in the series comprises a total of 20 models, all described in a
similar
manner.
You don't need any previous experience and it can be done by young and old, totally
blind or visually impaired people, just for fun or as a serious hobby.
I am hoping to be able to continue this project in future, especially if people show
man interest.
If you find the instructions helpful or for any questions, please don't hesitate
to contact me off-list or you may visit the Accessible Arts and Crafts website at
http://mysite.mweb.co.za/
 residents/ stephlin/
With thanks and kind regards.
Lindy van der Merwe