[Nfb-krafters-korner] Still Seeking Training in Crafts for Occupation

Eleni Vamvakari magkisa83 at gmail.com
Tue May 3 19:23:58 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I know that I haven't written in awhile but I now have a landline so
can join in on the phone chats.  In any case, I'm still subscribed to
the list and am still trying to find places which teach the crafts
that I want to learn so that I can do them for a living.  For those
new here, My plan is to make baskets, brooms, soaps and maybe candles
and to give them to a program called Pathways to Independence, which
works with the New Jersey Commission of the Blind.  They come to your
house, pick up the products that you make and then sell them at craft
shows and give you all the money.  As some here may remember, I was
considering starting my own business.  I still have all the e-mails
from the discussion on how to do so and thank you for your help.  But
I'm really nervous about all the paperwork, particularly taxes and
losing my benefits etc. if I don't make enough, especially since my
earnings will vary in the beginning and I have to account for
materials, shipping, insurance etc.  Of course, I could get help from
SSI, but that in itself is a long and very complicated process.  I was
told by the leader of Pathways that I'm legally allowed to keep all of
my earnings from them, since they and I are registered with the
Commission.  So I'll use them to test the waters so to speak and to
make some extra money.  Note that I'm also very willing to learn other
crafts that I can then sell.  Keep in mind that I know nothing of
knitting, crocheting or sewing and have never seen colour or anything
else.  But that doesn't mean that I'm unwilling to learn.

As I said some time ago, I found a huge list of furniture stores
around the country, which either cater exclusively to or which offer
chair caning, and some even offer basketry.  My hope is to work with
one of these for a regular income.  Many are in New York, and some are
even in New Jersey.  But I feel a bit strange going to them without
training.  I found only one place, the North Carolina Center for the
Blind, which teaches seatweaving, along with basketry, bead work and a
few other things, but they're not a residential facility.  I've done
extensive searches online but the most I could find were centres which
offered some arts and crafts classes for pleasure or industrial arts,
which, in it's modern context, apparently refers to wood working with
power tools and the like.

My counselor is willing to help me, and indeed, the NJ Commission used
to offer programs for these crafts but no longer does so.  But he
hasn't been able to find anything and this is going on over a month.
So I'm really hoping that since several people have joined since I
did, that someone here can help me.  Joyce, I know that you're in a
place which teaches caning.  Is it residential and how long does it
last?  Perhaps, The Commission might be willing to pay for it.  Does
anyone know if there are plans to teach any of these here in the
future?  If there isn't an actual place where I can learn these
things, would someone be willing/able to tutor me or do you know a
teacher, perhaps retired, whom I could contact?  I'm sorry for being
repetitive, but I wanted to sumarise my situation here for those new
to the group and to update my progress for the rest.

Thanks,
Eleni