[Nfb-krafters-korner] my comment for Board

Deborah Barnes kg4akz at mindspring.com
Fri May 6 11:37:39 UTC 2011

Hi,

In all probability, I will not be at the Board meeting but I did want to leave one comment for what it's worth.

First, I can still remember how thrilled I was when I found out about the crafters' division.  I never dreamed there was actually a place where those who have a love of crafts could just get together and do crafts and enjoy each other's company and learn from each other, etc. etc. etc.  I thought it was so neat and so simple, and for a while, it was.  I guess it's like all dreams--they may be true but there are wrinkles here and there.

Anyway, I'll always remember that beautiful feeling in those days before all the controversy.  I don't know if we can ever go back to those days of complete innocence but I sure had a great time anyway.

But here's the only comment I have about the current state of things.  I remember what the classes were like at the beginning when I first joined.  Well, imagine my surprise when I taught a class and for the first class, there was almost (but not quite) total silence.  It was like pulling eye teeth to get folks to say anything.  I'd ask a question and get silence.  Nobody talked to each other.  I was thinking:  what in the world is going on here??????  It was only later that I found out why there was so much silence.  Folks were afraid their words would live on forever on some recording that would be used for whatever purpose the nfb desired.

It did get a little better but it was never like the good ol' days.

So my only thing to say on this is that the students need to feel free to talk and share without worrying about how recordings will be used.

Oh and one more thing: I think I saw a post that said something about the nfb now saying that the recordings won't be exclusively theirs or something.  All I have to say is that if that's so, wonder why the form doesn't reflect that.

Now before everybody jumps to yell and scream at me <g< I won't be around for a while.  My mom is moving in for a while in a couple of weeks and I'm going to be rearranging my house for Mom and dog, and it's going to take every spare minute we have.  But I just wanted to leave this comment as food for thought.

Hope all moms (and kids) have a super Mom's Day.

Deb B.