[Nfb-krafters-korner] welcome Holly

Becky Frankeberger b.butterfly at comcast.net
Fri May 20 16:50:49 UTC 2011

Here is a little gift to our beeders on list.

Welcome Holly, I am Becky from Washington State.  I crochet and machine
knit.

Becky and guide dog Jake

Beading Daily
Combine Peyote and Herringbone Stitches to Make a Shaped Bezel for a
Cabochon
Learning peyote stitch opened up a whole new dimension in beadwork for me. I
felt
like one of those cartoon characters who suddenly gets superhuman powers,
then sits
back and cackles and says, "Now I will RULE THE WORLD!" Maybe peyote stitch
wouldn't
give me superhuman powers, but it did give me a way to make a beaded bezel
for the
dozens and dozens of cabochons I had been collecting.
As a new beader, I immediately fell in love with cabochons but had no idea
what to
do with them. My first attempts at bead embroidery were completely
disastrous, but
I still felt drawn to these lovely little pieces of stone and ceramic with
no holes
- what's a beader to do?
So off I went, making peyote-stitch bezels for these cabochons and then
embellishing
them to within an inch of their lives. But all the cabochons I worked with
were round
or oval, and when I came across some absolutely amazing handmade triangular
and square-shaped
cabochons, I had no idea what to do with them.
Then I discovered a way to combine a little bit of herringbone stitch with a
lot
of peyote stitch to create easy, fun-shaped peyote-stitch bezels for these
little
gems! Here's a quick rundown on how to make a peyote-stitch bezel for a
triangle
cabochon:
Use two colors of size 11° cylinder beads, A for the main color and B for
the accent
color. Pick up an odd number of A and 1B. Your first set of beads should
stretch
almost as long as one side of your cabochon. Repeat until you have three
sets of
A with three B between each set. Pass through the first A strung.
t?r=1893&c=2453300&l=54924&ctl=34BA871:EEE2F30DE2FA47A12695EC4F0DD55ED8C294A
D51B466032B&
.
.
Work in peyote stitch using A until you get to the first B. Pick up 2B and
pass into
the next A. Repeat around until you get to the step up at the end of the
round. For
each round, add 2B in each corner using herringbone stitch and then peyote
down the
next side using A.
.
.
This is what your bezel should look like at the end of the first round. It
even looks
like a triangle!
.
.
Stitch your bezel until it just pokes out around the points of your
cabochon. For
this round (probably your third or fourth), add just 1B at the corners. This
will
set you up for your decreases.
.
.
As you continue to work around, work decreases at the corners and pull
snugly so
that the peyote-stitch sides form a little cup around the points of your
cabochon.
.
.
For the last row, I always use size 15° seed beads to tighten the
peyote-stitch bezel
and add a little more color. You can even flip the cabochon over and add a
row of
size 15° seed beads to the back to tighten the bezel a little bit more.
.
.
.
.
This bezel technique works with square-shaped cabochons, too. If you use it
to make
a square cabochon, make sure you use an odd number of A beads along the
sides to
get the best fit for your cabochon.
Want more great tubular and circular peyote-stitch projects? Check out the
Best of Beadwork: 10 Circular and Tubular Peyote Projects
eBook. Or explore some great herringbone projects in the
Best of Beadwork: 12 Flat and Tubular Herringbone Projects
eBook. Both are full of projects and tips from the pros!
Bead Happy,
t?r=1893&c=2453300&l=54924&ctl=34BA874:EEE2F30DE2FA47A12695EC4F0DD55ED8C294A
D51B466032B&
Jennifer
Jennifer VanBenschoten
Jen VanBenschoten