[Nfb-krafters-korner] Hi from a new member.

Denise Shaible denise.shaible at att.net
Sat Nov 12 00:07:05 UTC 2011

Hi Pipi,

Welcome.  I'm Denise Shaible and I live in California.  Hi to any other new
members.  this list is growing so fast and it's great to meet all of you.  I
hope you take some classes so we can get to know each other by voice and not
just by list.  Pipi, I know you'll get lots of information about crocheting
from the many folks on this list who do it.

By the way, let me take this opportunity to ask a question of some of you
who knit or crochet and who are totally blind.  I have light perception and
do all of my knitting by using my hands.  I guess others out there can
identify with this.  Can any of you give me  suggestions about how to mentor
someone who has a little vision left and doesn't believe she can just use
her hands?  I met two people at the Braille Institute last Tuesday who are
losing their vision and don't believe they can just use their hands.  I
think I put my foot in my mouth with one of them when she said she had to
use her vision to see the congtrast between her yarn and needles.  I had
spent half an hour listening to this type of talk and I guess I just
couldn't pass up the opportunity to say that she didn't need her vision.
Maybe there's a better way.

Our teacher has low vision and she does a great job with knitting and
crocheting.  In fact, she gave me the idea to want to crochet.  I had the
same experience as Pipi in that someone sighted tried to teach me.  I
remember the chain stitch so, maybe my teacher will be able to teach me.  I
don't know.  I'm sure lots of you have opinions on this topic.  I look
forward to hearing from you.  Again, welcome, Pipi and all of our other new
members.

Regards,

Denise