[Nfb-krafters-korner] Braille & Art/Craft

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Sun Oct 2 13:18:00 UTC 2011

Hi Ramona,
I have to say that I had a 15 week rehab. training in Homestead, PA that was
wonderful for me. I had been blind for 7 months before I went there, in
2008. After that, I had more mobility and tech training at my home for a
number of months. It enabled me to do just about anything I want to do.I am
very independent and I am the same person I was when I could see - high
energy and tenacious, and a life long learner. I love life, with or without
sight - I love it all.

I think it is absolutely STUPID that a person like me is not permitted to go
on the blind association van when they take folks to the mall or little
things like this. If I have to have an escort with me, then I would just
have my grand daughter drive me there and the two of us can shop all we
want. Why would I take HER on the van?! It's crazy. Pointless.  And, it
fails to recognize that a bllind person can get along just fine with the
white cane, and can go off and do things on their own.  I absolutely HATE it
when someone tries to take my arm and guid me somewhere - I do not need it
or want it.

Yes, I love to go to art shows just as much as I have loved going to them
most of my life. If I want to see a painting, my husband tells me what he is
seeing there and i can enjoy it. I also love the fiber arts so much, and the
sculpture, and pottery, and other things that are 3 D...I agree with you, we
CAN enjoy ART no matter what.

The blind association in my county has to be 100 years behind the times in
blind information, I think.  I don't think they belong to any blind
organizations like NFB and do not seem to be UP on anything exciting and new
in the blind world.  I am just so glad I found NFB on my own through an
email from another blind person who read an article I wrote in Matilda
Ziegler Mag. a couple years ago. He put me in touch with Joyce and the rest
is history! I am so thankful I have found this KK group, and NFB.

Lynda River Woman