[Nfb-krafters-korner] Bead Weaving - Picture

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Thu Sep 1 18:02:46 UTC 2011

Terry,
No beads are strung at all. Each bead is sewn separately. The thread goes up
through the fabric, around through the bead, and baack down through the
fabric.  There are many combinations you can do to create patterns.
Eventually, you sew in layers over other beaded layers.  Some of the fabric
shows in this piece, that is why I selected the 1940s print.  Then, I play
off of that print, over it, and around it with bead working.  The key is to
"Overcome" the surface of the print, just as a painter has to overcome the
surface beneath the paint, yet retain the nature of the original surface -
like a dance between surface and bead weaving.  Since I am a painter, my
bead work is done exactly like I would use paint, in strokes and layers.

I would love to come to convention, but after my first trip by plane by
myself, and the troubles I encountered, I am not anxious to EVER again
travel alone by plane.  I do not have the saavy that most of you have - I
don't use a cell phone (by choice as I hate to talk on the phone) and I do
not know how to navigate new places to get where I need to go. You guys are
light years ahead of me on this journey. Lynda River Woman