[Nfb-krafters-korner] Cutting question

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Thu Sep 1 18:35:48 UTC 2011

There  are 2suggestions and I have used both.

You can purchase a 4 inche templet from a quilting shop or go to Keepsake
Quilting website.  They are made out of a hard thick plastic and you can
rotary  cut using this.  You will need to get a cutting board and a  rotarry
cutter.

You will need the rotary cutter and the cutting board for this other one
and I would be lost without it.  It is a thick plastic guide and I have and
use the most the larger one.  It is hmmmm top to bottom maybe 18 inches and
side to side around 22 inches.  It has 2 inches on each side going top to
bottom and then it has every half inche a slit that the blade of your rotary
 wheel fits into.  You line up the edge of this guide to the edge of your
cutting mat .  I usially take a 12 inche square template and fold my fabric
with salvages even and press it to even up the fold , then fold it in half
and  press again so I have 4 layers and everything is even.  With the 12
inche  square template I line it up  to the bottom of the edges and fold and
cut  the first going top to bottom.  This will give me that first straight cut
 edge.  Then I line that edge I just cut up to the side edge of the cutting
 board .  I then put the edge of the guide and match up and make sure
everything is even to the edge of the cutting board.  You also should be  sure
that where the cutting slots are includes the top and the bottom edges of
your fabric.  That is why I keep it folded in 4 layers.     This takes a
little time and fudging with but it is worth it.  So now you  have a 2 inche from
the edge of your guide.  Feel and count so you will  have a total of 4
inches.  The most common size strips I have cut I have  placed a piece of
masking tape along the bottom to help me find it and not have  to count every
time.    Fit your rotary wheel into the slot of  the 4 inches and press down
hard holding the guide down tight.  I am always  feeling the bottom right
corner of the cutting board to be sure everything is  lined up.  Now cut your 4
inche strip.  You can move to 8 inches and  12 etc.  Remember once you pick
it up or move the top guide you have to go  thru all the lining up again.  So
now you have a 4 inche strip.  There  are a lot of strip quilt patterns and
I have a wonderful trick how to do half  square triangles, but back to the
4 inche square.

You need to take the 4 inche strip and use your guide to cut it into 4
inche SQUARES.    You should line up your salveges and cut them  off first.  I
usually take and cut 4 1/2  first and turn it around and  trim that 1/2
inche off then cut the rest 4 inches.  I do keep the strip  folded in half at
this point.  As 4 inches does not go even into your 45 or  whatever width
fabric you are cutting.

Warning:  Be careful of the rotary cutter.  Use the one that has  the
guard.  Keep your fingers out of the way of the blade.  You can do  all of this
without sight.  I have done it and I have no light  perception.

In a message dated 9/1/2011 1:20:38 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,