[Nfb-krafters-korner] speakers and creative ideas

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Thu Sep 8 13:10:02 UTC 2011

Jewell,
I am sorry you had this bad experience. Only YOU can learn to center your
own clay and the instructor should have been patient.  You should have only
worked on centering and nothing else, by yourself with some instruction from
her.  I used wo woek on centering for weeks at a time, and nothing else.  It
takes a long time to learn to feel the clay and to get the steps down in
your mind as you work. You will never learn how to make something on the
wheel is someone else is touching it instead of YOU.  It is unerealistic to
think you will acually be creating an object in  a few weeks - there is a
very steep learning curve for people who can see it, and for us it is much
longer and harder to learn. But, it is such a TACTILE art and you need not
be able to see it at all as it is all done by TOUCH -

I was so lucky to have a patient teacher who understood that I needed to
learn in my own way and work with me. She never touched anything of mine and
she never tried to hurry me in any steps but allowed me to work on it by
myself, with her helpful tips.

Lynda River Woman