[Nfb-krafters-korner] We Won't Forget!

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Sep 11 19:42:45 UTC 2011

Today marks 10 years from that unforgettable day in New York  City.    This
will stay in people's minds forever.

I could not see the TV, but around 9 a.m. September 11, 2001, my daughter
came down from our third floor and asked me If I  had the TV on.  She  told
me to put it on as a plane had crashed into the Twin Towers.  I put  the TV
on and started listening.  It was shocking and the reporters did not  know
how it happened, but I could hear the commotion  and the terror in  people's
voices coming through the TV.  My daughter was getting ready for  work and
she came down and told me on her way out that another plane had hit  into the
other tower.  Her Dad was asleep on the second floor as he worked  midnight
to 7 a.m. and had gotten home and went to bed less then an hour  ago.  As I
sat there just listening and switching channels to hear if any  of them had
any other information  I started getting really worried.   I could not see
what was happening, but what I heard and what people said and  the way they
said it I became anxious.

I ventured up to the bed room and tried waking my husband.  I told him  2
planes crashed into the Twin Towers.  He was more asleep then awake and  he
said he would get up later and watch the TV.  So I went back down and
positioned myself in front of the TV and continued to listen.

When they said one of the towers collapsed.  I did not have any idea  it
had totally collapsed.  I could not imagine one of those towers falling  down.
 Only 5 years prior to that before I went blind I was up in the Twin
Towers as we did a Christmas Holiday trip taking the train down to New York City
with my kids and whatever foster children we had in our home at that time.
 This time we had taken our three children, our  three  foster  children
and two of the neighborhood children.  We took the subway from  Grand Central
right over to the Twin Towers.  We took the tour and ate  lunch up  one of
those high floors with all the fast food and tables.   They had places that
you took a few steps down and there was seats with the  windows right in
front of the seats and you could look out over New York with a  bird's eye view
of everything.  It had started snowing that afternoon while  we were there.
Before it had gotten too dark we went down and walked  outside in the plaza
and looked back up at the Towers from ground level.

So 5 years later sitting in front of my TV and those memories in my mind,
how could they be telling me one of the Twin Towers fell down.

When the reporters had told of people    jumping out of  windows it sounded
to me this was some horror story.  Then the panicky had  risen and the
horror of the second Tower coming down I just could not understand  what was
happening.

My husband finally woke up around noon time and when he came downstairs I
told him to get his coffee and come and look at the TV.  He came in and
watched for a short time and started describing what he saw on the television.I
 sat and listened in disbelief to his words.  We heard about what happen
and  the plane crashing in Pennsylvania and in Washington D.C.

There was by this time all types of reports and emergency plans being put
into place here in Connecticut.
My husband works for Sikorsky's here in Stratford.That is where they do
assembly of some of their helicopters.  Well between 2 and 3 p.m. in  the
afternoon  I heard a bunch of helicopters flying over our house.   My husband
had shortly thereafter found out that any of the helicopters that  they had
available they sent them to an area so if they needed them to transport
injured people or anything they would have them closer to the city.

The TV was my resource for what was happening and I listened most of the
time over the next few days.  I heard of the people that were in search to
find their love ones.  The panicky of people not being able to get in touch
with friends and family.   The concern of air travel and even train  travel
in the United States.
  The fear was spreading and I just could not believe it was happening
here.

Well as the days past the stories continued and the hopes dwindled.

Ten years later I can not picture in my mind the skyline of New  York or
the view down the river going over the Tappanzee Bridge  without the Twin
Towers being part of that immage in my mind.

I decided to share this with my friends an family as I don't have those
horrible pictures  that many of you Won't Forget, but I do have the sounds  I
heard and the sorrow I felt on September 11, 2001.