[Nfb-krafters-korner] Using braille in crafts, was, Re: more picture info

Powers, Terry (NIH/OD/DEAS) [E] Terry.Powers at nih.gov
Wed Sep 28 12:37:55 UTC 2011

I like the braille cross idea!

Terry P.

-----Original Message-----
From: Denise Shaible [mailto:denise.shaible at att.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 2:11 AM
To: List for blind crafters and artists
Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner] Using braille in crafts, was, Re: more picture info

Okay, as usual, I'm a little behind in reading all of the posts I receive from Krafters Korner.  I just read this one about using Braille in crafts.
I was once involved with a ministry with my former church in Pompano Beach, FL.  We needed to make crafts and send cards and letters to those on retreat and I made a cross with full Braille cells.  I put it on a book mark and another time, I made the cross on post cards and wrote a note on the back.
People who received these little gifts really liked them and were fascinated by them as they had never seen crafts made from Braille.  I think large Braille dots would make some nice crafts for borders, etc.  I never got the chance to experiment with this but I think it would work.  this could be achieved with a slate and styllus.  I used a Braille writer for the crosses, though.

Regards,

Denise