[Nfb-krafters-korner] sewing

Nikki daizies304 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:24:57 UTC 2012

I have retinitis pigmentosa. I can't see detail. I do see light and mostly
shadows. Seeing color is out of the question. I really don't have any
experience with sewing. When I was younger, my mom helped me sew/make a
teddy bear from her stash of old material and cotton. It wasn't very big,
something I hand sewn. My mom pretty much did all my sewing. At one point I
asked her if she thought I could use the machine and sew. She said probably
not because you would have to see the stiches and how would you know if you
made a mistake. And to fix it, how would you be able to see where the hole
is. So that's why I never persued. I just think it would be cool to make my
own skirts, instead of searching the stores. Our sewing machine is pretty
old. My grandfather built it in the 70's or 80's. I'm surprised it still
works. I'm also curious to know if there are adapted sewing machines for the
blind.