[Nfb-krafters-korner] latch hook kit

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sat Aug 18 00:44:05 UTC 2012

Nancy,

I taught a class here on KK via email for a latch hook project.

In your kit there is probably a chart showing you where every strand of yarn
should go and what strand to place where. Some kits have the canvas colored
in to make it easier.

What I did was to have my sister read out the chart square by square, going
from the left bottom corner across the bottom row, then up to the next row
left to right and so on. Such a pattern may say for example, ((row 1 5 light
green, 2 dark green, 2 pink...etc.)  I typed up the pattern on my computer
as she read it. without sighted assistance there is no easy way to either
identify your yarn or know the pattern.  (however, some one in my class did
have some success identifying her yarn colors with a color identifier.)

My sister will be helping me with my next pattern and I would b  happy to
share that  pattern, or my previous pattern, with anyone who purchases the
kit and wants to make it.

The kit we did in the class was called "flower pup," and was of a golden
retriever laying in the grass with flowers around him. lots of beautiful
shading on the dog's coat. I hopefully will eventually get a pic up on our
facebook page of the project.

Another option is to borrow the book "row upon row," from the Braille
transcribing service. This book has patterns that are written out as I
described and you would purchase blank canvas and the precut yarn for the
pattern. I made three rugs from this book years ago and was pleasantly
surprised to find the book again. but there is so much more variety in the
kits and I am lucky to have my sister's help, so I am going that route.
Cathy