[Nfb-krafters-korner] help with a stitch

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 00:49:07 UTC 2012

HI Lovette,

Yes, both of your messages have come through, however the list has been
quiet today. I did not check on your pattern because I figured it was needle
knit and wasn't sure I would be able to help you with that.

As for a blanket stitch, it is used to sew two pieces of fabric together.
here are some written instructions I found, but I have not tried this so if
you don't understand them, I cannot help you, because I am somewhat allergic
to sewing. Anyhow, good luck with the project you are working on.

Thread your needle and knot the tail end. Start by sending your needle up
from the back. This should be done about 1/4" in from the edge, or at
whatever
length you want your stitches to be.

how to do blanket stitch

Photo B:

To get the stitch anchored, poke your needle up from the back again, so that
the needle comes out the top at the same spot where you started, creating a
loop around the edge.

how to do blanket stitch

Photo C:

Send your needle under the loop stitch you just made. To do this, poke the
needle under the stitch going sideways at the edge of the felt. This gets
your
thread anchored, but it is not a true first stitch.

how to do blanket stitch

Photo D:

To start your first true blanket stitch, poke your needle down from the top
(#2 in photo D). This should be about 1/4" over from where the thread first
came up, and about 1/4" up from the edge. To complete your first stitch,
bring your needle up from the back, and through the loop of thread (#3 in
photo
D). This should create a straight line down from #2 in the photo. Before
pulling this stitch tight, be sure that your needle is in fact through the
loop
of thread as shown in photo D.

how to do blanket stitch

Now continue each stitch like this and you are on your way! Now you know how
to do blanket stitch when sewing one layer.

Cathy