[Nfb-krafters-korner] wool yarn

artist imanartist at earthlink.net
Wed Feb 15 18:09:52 UTC 2012

Cindy, I have had mine for over a year and I love it.  I have no
light perception and I am an avid quilter.  It has given me the ability to
cut out quilts with no assistance.  The dies are pricy but well worth the
price to me.  Additional plusses:  Each piece is accurately cut .  They are
exactly the same no matter how many you cut out.

Because of the accuracy of the cuts, the quilt parts fit together like a jig
saw puzzle.  Your points will match and your blocks will be perfectly
aligned.
It is easy to use.  Cut strips of fabric, place them on a die, place a matt
over that and run it through the cutter.  Sort of like a pasta machine.
Feed in the die, out come the shapes.  It is next to impossible to hurt
yourself unless you drop it on your foot or something.

The cutting blades are all imbedded in the dies in a foam like layer that
compresses when fed through the rollers.   It comes with a sampler die that
cuts a 2 1/2 inch square, a 4 1/2 inch square and 4 2 inch finished
triangles. .  Other than the above, you can layer your fabric in it and cut
your pieces you are going to match and sew together at the same time
eliminating the need to align the edges .

I place my fabric in layers with the right sides facing for squares or
shapes I will be sewing together.  I baste the strip with a long stitch so
the fabrics will not separate or slide.  Then I cut the shapes.  They are
ready to sew without aligning and without pins.
Lastly, it is a real time saver.  For instance, One of my dies cuts
multiples of squares at a time.  One in particular cuts 9 2 1/2 inch
squares.  I can layer up to 6 fabrics and thus cut 54 squares with one pass
through the cutter.

Last of all, the strip cutters are great .  You can cut a strip the length
of your fabric if desired and not have seams in your binding.  How great is
that.  If I were starting out, would buy a strip cutter that cuts 2 1/2 inch
strips.   It is perfect for bindings and sashing so what more could a person
desire.  Hope this helps, JoAn

You cannot layer that many heavier fabrics but I usually can layer at least
4 layers of most of my fabric.

I could not do this cutting without it by myself.

I take blood thinners so cannot risk injury from rotary cutters.