[Nfb-krafters-korner] felting blocks

Carol Osmar osmarc at sbcglobal.net
Fri Feb 24 01:46:57 UTC 2012

Thanks Cathy, I don't think I will be able to do the felting
project, but this checkerboard pattern looks interesting.  I will
tuck it away for  future reference.

Carol ----- Original Message -----
From: "Cathy" <flowersandherbs at gmail.com
To: "'List for blind crafters and artists'"
<nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org
Date sent: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 18:13:06 -0500
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] felting blocks

Hi all,

I've been thinking about how I should make my wool12" blocks for
the felting
bag for our upcoming class.  I enjoy knitting the loom more then
crocheting,
so I thought I might use this intriguing pattern I found for
blocks.  Then, I
thought about how I was teaching a beginner crochet class and
thought
perhaps I should make my blocks out of single crochet even though
that would
take a lot longer.  I am still pondering the matter.  in the
meantime, I
thought I'd share the pattern for the blocks using the loom I am
considering, just in case some one else might like to try them.

It is called the checkerboard pattern, which seems particularly
appropriate
for a checkerboard bag!

Cathy

Checkerboard

This pattern is made by alternating knit and purl stitches every
few rows
and pegs.  To
stand out as a pattern more than a texture, each stitch block
should be at
least 4 pegs wide
and 4 rows tall.  If your blocks have the same number of stitches
as rows,
they will be
wider than they are tall.  In the sample above, the blocks are 4
stitches
wide and 6 rows
tall.

This pattern can be done with e-wrap knit stitches, but looks
cleaner with
flat knit
stitches.  Make sure your flat knit stitches are very loose, or
your pattern
will pucker and look uneven.

To make a 4 x 4 checkerboard pattern, the number of pegs used
should be
divisible by 4.

Row 1: Knit four pegs, purl four pegs, repeat to end of row.
Row 2-4: Knit the knit pegs, purl the purled pegs, repeat to end
of row.
Row 5: Purl the knit pegs, knit the purled pegs, repeat to end of
row.
Row 6-8: Knit the knit pegs, purl the purled pegs, repeat to end
of row.
Repeat rows 1-8.