[Nfb-krafters-korner] (no subject)

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 01:05:59 UTC 2012

Hi all,

With the memories of folks here mentioning aching fingers and hands, due to
arthritis or too much crafting, I thought the article below might help one
or two of you out there.

As for myself, I get shoulder and neck aches when I craft for too long at a
stretch. I have determined it is the way I sit and hold my head. problem is
that when I am concentrating on my craft and usually reading a book as well,
I don't think about how I am sitting or for how long I am sitting.  Same
thing with using the computer. <smile>

Cathy

Lion Brand Notebook

5 Simple Ways to Relieve & Prevent Hand Pain

When your work with your hands as much as knitters and crocheters do it's
important to remember not to strain or overwork your body.

Knitting and crochet should be hobbies that help you relax and relieve
stress. There are several ways to reduce stress on your hands and body, and
these simple tips will help you avoid injury and treat existing symptoms.*

Pay attention to how you are sitting.

Sit down as though you were about to begin crafting. Is your back supported?
Is there enough light to see well, and enough room to move your elbows and
arms freely as you work? You may be straining your hands to try and
compensate for one of these other issues. Examine the places you craft for
simple fixes you can make to add light, support and space.

Remember to take breaks while you craft.

While it can be tempting to power through a few more rows when you are
tired, listen to your body and put your project on pause. Breaks should vary
the motion of what you are doing; try doing small, rewarding activities
during your break like taking a short walk, watering houseplants or playing
with a family pet.

Massage and stretch your hands.

This is a wonderful (and relaxing) way to rejuvenate your fingers, wrists
and palms. Try different methods and go easy on yourself; only rub or
stretch your hands to a point that feels comfortable. There are some great
hand stretch suggestions on LiveStrong.org (click here).

Choose ergonomic tools.

If you've only ever tried straight knitting needles or metal crochet hooks,
it might be time to try something new. Many knitters prefer using circular
needles when possible because of the bounce-back of the cord that connects
them, and crocheters are raving about this ergonomic crochet hook set that
fits in the palm of your hand.

Wear stress relief gloves.

Wearing these stress relief gloves allows the muscles of your hand to relax
while you work. These gloves have been specially designed with crafters in
mind, so they are completely fingerless and stand up to long-term use.