[Nfb-krafters-korner] felting

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 03:16:37 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'd like to thank Joyce for her felting discussion tonight. It was me who
actually encouraged Joyce to do a class on felting. Here are my notes from
the discussion if anyone is interested in having them.

"If there are any additions or corrections, please post them."  (funny, this
is what the president of our garden club says after I read the minutes of
our garden club meeting, yes I am the secretary. No surprise huh?)

Felting

Use 100% wool as base fabric throughout. other fabrics can also be used if
they are knitted along with the wool. This will  create an interesting
texture to any project.

The Wet felting process involves wetting and shrinking fabric together using
friction and water. The Friction can be  created by  squeezing  the fabric
by hand in a sink with water or washing it in a washing machine with a towel
or other heavy fabric to create the friction. ( when using a washing machine
always place the project in a laundry bag to ensure that it is felted
evenly.) the hotter the water, the quicker the felting process. it is wise
to check the project frequently, (perhaps every five minutes if in the
washing machine) to determine how the felting process is progressing. When
the felting is to the desired consistency, place in cold water to halt the
felting process.

Different wool yarns shrink differently, even different colors of the same
yarn can felt differently. a general rule is that felting Reduces a project
size 1/3 to 1/4 in size. For example a 12" square reduces to a 9" or 8"
square.

To get out excess water, a project Can be put in the dryer for awhile or
wrapped in a towel several times.

Then lay project in a place where it can air dry.

Interesting note to myself:

to prevent a garment from shrinking do not wash and rinse it in different
temperatures. It doesn't matter if the temperature of the water is warm or
cold, because this is not what causes the shrinkage, instead it is the shock
of the temperature process that effects the fabric.

Cathy