[Nfb-krafters-korner] knitting life line

Annette Carr amcarr1 at verizon.net
Thu Jan 12 11:52:42 UTC 2012

Hi Cathy and all,

Yes, you thread either yarn, string, thread, or a very thin, long circular
needle through your stitches on your needle.  I think when Terry refers to a
cable, she is talking about the cable of a circular needle.  I Sometimes use
one of my interchangeable circular needles and take the points off of the
cable after threading it through the stitches and put the end caps on the
cable so that the cable does not pull out of my work.  I rarely use my
interchangeable cables for life lines because it is very think and add too
much bulk inside the stitches while I am trying to knit the next row.  I
rarely use thread as I cannot feel where it is and it does not help me find
my stitches if I need to pick them up.  So my favorite options are to use
yarn or a 00 60 inch circular needle.  Since I only have one 00 circular
needle, I end up using a combination of the 00 needle and the yarn.

If I am knitting a pattern that is straight knit or alternating knit and
pearl rows, I might choose to put the first life line in after I've
completed row 10.  I would continue knitting and when I complete row 20 I
would put a second life line in.  When I get to row 30 I would pull out the
first life line from down in Row 10 and insert it into row 30.  I would
continue this leap frog method by next inserting the life line from row 20
into row 40, and so on.

If I am working on a pattern that has a lot of yarn overs and knit 2
together in the pattern, I do not always insert my life line in at the
beginning of the pattern repeat.  I might put it in the last pattern row
where I used stitches other than knit or pearl so that if I have to rip
back, I do not have to lose my hard work that went into that row.  So let me
give an example:

If my pattern is Row 1 knit across, Row 2 pearl across, Row 3 pattern, Row 4
pearl, row 5 pattern, row 6 pearl, I would probably insert my life line
through my stitches on my needle after I have completed row 5.  I often find
it difficult to work a pattern row if the life line is in the row prior.
The stitches will be tight because of having both the needle and the life
line inside of them.  So I find that by inserting the life line into the row
prior to a pearl or knit row, my frustration level is kept to a minimum.

I hope this makes sense.

Annette