[Nfb-krafters-korner] beginner crochet, a tip

Zimmer, Cindy cindy.zimmer at nebraska.gov
Mon Jul 9 13:55:30 UTC 2012

Yea Cathy!!!!

-----Original Message-----
From: nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org [mailto:nfb-krafters-korner-bounces at nfbnet.org] On Behalf Of Cathy
Sent: Saturday, June 30, 2012 9:39 AM
To: 'List for blind crafters and artists'
Subject: [Nfb-krafters-korner] beginner crochet, a tip

Hello all,

I have always considered myself to be a beginner crocheter though I have
made a number of crocheted projects and know a number of crochet stitches.
The reason I have considered myself to be a beginner is because up until
today I have never been able to make a straight edge.  I taught beginner
crochet last winter and when folks in my class could not make a straight
edge, I was able to give suggestions as to what might be going wrong, but I
never truly knew what to say because I had never worked out the problem
myself. But as I say, I have finally figured it out this morning and feel
that I have hit a milestone in my crocheting now. so many more projects have
opened up for me, now that I can crochet a straight edge.

Ok, ok, you may be saying, what is your secret  already!

It is simply this. when I come to the end of a row of crochet, I make my
last stitch then grasp hold of that last stitch with two fingers, chain
however many chains are needed for the next row, then carefully turn my work
while continuing to hold on to my last stitch made. then I crochet into the
stitch I have been holding which of course is the last stitch I had made on
the previous row. my difficulty up until this morning  has been knowing
exactly where to place my hook to begin the next row. so holding on to the
last stitch until I was ready to work it, was the secret for me.

Sure hope this helps some one else who has been struggling with this
problem.

Cathy