[Nfb-krafters-korner] Clay Bowl with Decorative Interior - instructions

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Fri Jun 29 14:42:32 UTC 2012

Bowl with a Decorative Interior

Instructions by Lynda J. Lambert

Copyright 2012.  All rights reserved.

Materials:

Clay

Bowl with design on the outside

Small knife or needle tool

Newspapers

Plastic bag

Sheet of Tissue Paper

Rolling Pin

Note:  Select a bowl with a pattern on the outside of it.

 You can choose cut glass, or pressed glass bowls.

I have found great ones at the thrift stores, and at Dollar Tree.

Plastic bowls work as well as glass bowls.

1.)  Turn the Bowl upside down.

2.)  Roll out your clay so it will fit over the outside of the bowl.

3.)  Roll a piece of tissue paper onto your clay slab.

4.)  Place the rolled out clay slab over the outside of the bowl. Be sure to put the tissue paper side down, against the outside of the bowl.

5.)  Press it gently all over - making it tight against the bowl.

6.)  Keep your bowl upside down - I usually place it over something that is very solid, like a large can or jar out of my cupboard. This keeps it balanced in the air.

7.)  Carefully trim the edges so they are nice and even. Take off all the extra clay that hangs over the edges.

8.)  Wet your fingers, and go around the edges to round them off a bit and make them smooth.

9.)  When your bowl starts to set up enough that it will not be flexible any longer, you can remove it from the bowl. Be very careful when you do this so you don't crack or break your clay bowl.

10) If using fired clay, I cover the bowl up while it is still on the glass bowl. I will spritz it a bit to be sure it is really moist. Then, I will cover it with newspapers, and then plastic, and make it air tight. I will leave it on the mold bowl for about a week, or at least a few days.  I have to keep checking on it so it does not stay there too long, or it will all crack - it has to be removed just before the leather hard stage which is when it will shrink and break apart.

After I remove the bowl from the mold bowl, I go over it with some sand paper to be sure it is nice and smooth, no little blobs of clay anywhere. I wet my fingers and go around the rim carefully, making it really smooth.

Now, let it dry till bone dry, and then fire.

Example of a decorative Interior bowl below:

This bowl was made over a crystal bowl.  The inerior of the   bowl has tulips on it.

Lynda Lambert
104 River Road
Ellwood City, PA 16117

724 758 4979