[Nfb-krafters-korner] Selling at craft markets

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Wed Mar 14 17:25:38 UTC 2012

Laurie's email is:
_freespirit1 at tds.net_ (mailto:freespirit1 at tds.net)

In a message dated 3/14/2012 11:00:53 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
sarahmsykes at gmail.com writes:

I  haven't done very many craft shows, but I've done a TON of
exhibiting for  my job and I can say that the stress level goes way
down when you are doing  a show with at least one other person. Aside
from any visual or money  related concerns, it's just better to have
someone with you, to have  conversation if the show is a dud and you've
got no business, to pinch hit  for each other for lunch breaks, to
handle multiple transactions when  business is booming, etc.

Sarah M Sykes

On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at  6:16 PM, Sahar Husseini <sahar at inebraska.com>
wrote:
> Also, you  might want to invest in a money identifier.  If you have an
IPhone, there  are a couple of aps.  I also have the IBill, a stand-alone
money  identifier; I paid $100 for it, and it was worth every penny.  I don't
leave home without it.  I am not usually comfortable selling by myself.  I've
done craft shows, and I find them more stressful than they're  worth.
Lynda, it is so good to hear someone else echoing my sentiment.  It's funny this
has come up just after you and I corresponded about it.  I feel validated,
as I told you in my private message to hear you saying  what you said
because people think I'm crazy when I tell them I'm not  comfortable with craft
shows and that I think they're often a waste of time.  People are often
looking for a bargain, and not necessarily quality.  The best craft shows I have
ever been in are those at convention.  I love doing those; they are
definitely worth the stress.  *smile*

<nfb-krafters-korner at nfbnet.org>
> Sent:  Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:39 AM
> Subject: Re: [Nfb-krafters-korner]  Selling at craft markets
>

> Thanks, Linda, for all the  tips and ideas. I have not yet decided to do
the
> craft market on  a
> permanent basis. You have reminded me to also look for some  other
> alternatives and have given me some great ideas to work with. My  sincere
> thanks.
> It looks like I will have someone with me for  my next market, so I'm
sure it
> will also help me get comfortable if I  decide to do this type of selling
> more in future.
> Kindest  regards.
> Lindy
>
> Find PRACTICAL PRODUCTS on  FACEBOOK:
> http://www.facebook.com/practicalproducts

It
> [...]
>> clueless about  blindness - I sure was! I understand this.
>>
>> Here is  what I do that helps though:
>> I put a  clearly marked  price tag is on every item.
>> If they ask the price, I hand it  to them and say, "Here, you can see the
>> price on the tag." I also  put any other pertinent information on the
tag -
>> I use large tags  so it is very CLEAR to them.
>> Money? I have the bills put in an  order that is always the same. I use
>> only bills and never have any  change. This eliminates a very big worry.
>>
>> I never  price anything with "cents" involved. Everything with only
>>  "dollars" this way the item is $5. or $10. etc.  You can back the  taxes
>> off of the price after you get home.  When you do your  pricing, just
round
>> it UP to the next dollar amount. This has  saved me so much worries. This
>> way you need never worry about  making change with those coins.
>>
>> You can get a money ID  thing for your bills. I have an ID PacMate that
>> reads bar codes so  you can even make bar codes for your items which is
>> pretty  cool.
>>
>> Any time I sell things that are different  colors, I put them in "Roy G.
>> Biv" order. In fact, everything I  can put into that order in my own
>> house - all my jewelry is in Roy  G. Biv order. Roy G. Biv means Red,
>> Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue,  Indigo, Violet.  In my home I have
plexiglas
>> containers that  are tall. Each one has a lid, and each one holds one
color
>> of  necklaces. They are in Roy G. Biv order on my dresser. No worries
about
>> what color I am getting, if it is kept in order.
>>  Another special container holds all my earrings in this order, too.  I
>> found a wonderful Earring Box on Home Shopping Network. It holds  72
pairs
>> of earrings. All in order and easy for me to find just  what I am looking
>> for.
>>
>> I do know that some  people will definitely cheat you if given the
>> opportunity. If I  had not had my daughter with me to watch the
>> transactions, there  were some times when I would have given a person
>> change for a $20.  when she really gave me a $10. and the person stood
>> there waiting  for the change. My daughter saw it happening and ran over
>> clue  me in. Also, teen age girls come into your booth in groups and
they
>> are there to steal - one engages you in conversation while  the firends
are
>> stealing. This happens a lot at outdoor festivals.  I cannot imagine
being
>> in the booth alone without some watchful  eyes to watch the crowd -
>> especially when you sell jewelry. It is  small and very easily slid off
the
>> table into a tote bag even when  a person CAN see well.
>>
>> Those would be my most  important tips after about 10 years of doing arts

Wednesday

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-krafters-korner_nfbnet.org/stephlin%40iafrica.com

03/12/12

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-krafters-korner_nfbnet.org/riverwoman%40zoominternet.net