[Nfb-krafters-korner] SUCCESS

Kendra Schaber Baltimore777 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 16 04:27:51 UTC 2012

Hi Henrietta, that is one way to use your unused insides of dypers. If you
don't have gravel, why not? Where did you read that information about using
unused dypers in pots? I think that having a look will be good for new ideas
to pass along to my fellow gardeners. Oh yah, good luck to your friend!
Thank you for the correction! Pots of any size that has tall plants will
tend to get blown over by the wind. That's just science at work. Violas are
good little flowers to use. You could use both lavender and violas if you
want. It's is your project. Why not have a lot of fun with it? I have my
notes on lavender plants that I researched just yesterday and this morning.
You will find them below this message. You might find it useful especially
if you decide to use lavender in your bowls. I hope that this will help you!
Kendra Schaber
P.S.
Below you will find my notes about lavender.

Kendra's Research about Lavender.

Common Name:

Lavender

Lattin Names:

Lavandula

L. angustifolia

Plant Discription:

     Lavender is a member of the Lamiaceae family which is also known as the
mint family. There are 39 varities of lavender including hybrids. Some kinds
are as tall as 6 feet tall and others are only a few inches tall. Some kinds
of lavender has either blue or purple flowers. Some kinds has dark purple or
pink spikes and dense bluish-purple spikes. There are more kinds of lavender
that has dark purple flowers topped with a feathery purple bract. There is a
kind of lavender that is called yellow lavender because it perduces
pineapple-shapped flower heads that are topped with lemmon chiffon bracts.
The leaves of this kind of lavender are yellow-green which is unlike the
gray lavender. Yellow lavender is tall and wide with a strong fragence. Some
kinds of lavender such as the French lavender has gray sarated leaves. Some
kinds of lavender has purple pineapple-shaped flowers. Other kinds of
lavender such as the Hidcote pink lavender has pastell pink spiked flowers.
Some kinds of lavender such as some of the lesser known varieties are very
small with short flower spikes, showey dark purple flowers and are suited
for window containers and pots. Good coltivers include "dark eyes" and
"silver frost." Some kinds of lavender are bushy and compact. Other kinds of
lavender are bushy but spread out. Some kinds of lavender perduces more
fragences than others. Some kinds of lavender has big and wide leaves and
others have small rosemerry type leaves. Most lavender plants have green or
gray leaves. Some kinds of lavender bloom in early spring. Most kinds of
lavender blooms in the spring time. There are other kinds of lavender that
blooms in late spring or even the summer. Lavender tends to have a long
stem. Lavender has a terpintine tast that is not easily defined. Many people
has to get use to the flavore just like they would with wine that has many
subtlties.

Growing Conditions:

     Lavender is native to the Meditarian and loves dry, sunny and rocky
places. They can adapt to many different growing conditions but thrives in
full sun, well drained soil and warm temperatures. A lean soil incouriges a
lavender plant to perduce lavender oil. Chocky soil is best for lavender to
smell. Lavender generally grows best in zones 5 up to zone 10. They live in
soil with PH of 6.5 up to 7.5. Each kind of lavender has different growing
preferences. Lavender doesn't do well in harsh winters or humid summers. You
can't get a lavender hedge in Oregon. Durring the first growing season,
lavender needs a handful of compost in the planting pot and regular water
until it's well astablished. Once lavender is well astablish, then it's
tough and is drout resistant. Lavender is more likely to die from wet and
humidity than it is with the cold. When the humidity is high, lavender needs
plenty of space between each plant and to remain in a sunny area. When the
ground freezes and thaws such as it does during a harsh winter in Oregon,
lavender needs a layer of mulch that needs to be applyed after the ground
freezes. When it is windy, planting lavender near a wall or a stone will
give it extra heat and pretection from that wind. Lavender also preffers to
be planted on a south wall even if all other growing conditions are perfict
for best growth. Lavender needs a spring prooning even though it gets
prooned when the flowers are harvested. The taller varieties of lavender can
be cut back as much as 1/3 of their height. The shorter varieities of
lavender can be cut a couple of inches or down to the new growth. If the
lavender experiences dye back, the lavender will give up trying if you cut
it too soon. In this case, there must be new growth before you proon the
lavender. Lavender can also grow in pots and can be moved as the sun moves
and/or can be moved inside for the winter. Lavender has a large root system
that can spread but it preffers to grow in a tite space. Lavender needs a
couple of inches of space around it in the pot. If the pot is too large,
then it incouriges too much moisture. Lavender can get root rot which is one
of the few problems it can have. To prevent this, a pot requires an inch of
lose gravel at the bottom and a lose soil mix in order to maintain good
drainage. A pot of lavender requires more water than lavender that is grown
in a garden. The requirements vary with the environment and the type of pot
that is used. Since lavender doesn't preffer wet foilige, water it when the
soil and not the plant is dry. Once a lavender plant has been astablish into
a pot, it is important to repot it every spring to allow for greater growth
and more flowers. Lavender only lasts around ten years so it is best to
start new plants each season. The best way to start a lavender plant is to
use lavender cuttings. Lavender can be grown from seeds but  to be moved to
a bigger pot or the garden. for one thing, the seeds are so small that some
growers have problems with planting them without the seeds sticking to the
hands. The seeds are also so small that blind gardeners either can't feel
them or even if they can, they can't get the seed off their hands without
losing track of them. The seeds have a short shelf life so planting them
once you get ahold of them is best. Lavender seeds has a very slow
germination rate. They also have to be 70 degrees F for them to sprout. They
sprout up slowly which is usually two weeks or more. Because of the shelf
life and the slow sprouting, lavender seeds tends to rott from fungus before
sprouting. Seeds are light dependent so covering them lightly will allow
them to sprout. Spring seeding works better than fall seeding. The seeds
that do sprout takes anywhere from one three months before the resulting
plant has enough root and top to transfer it to another location. Even
though adding fertilizer can help a lavender plant to grow, it can also
bring in the fungus if the humidity is too high. Once the lavender plant is
transplanted, it will take another three months for it to be ready

Interesting Facts:

     Lavender is a great conpanyon plant which can grow with almost anything
from roses to cabbige. If you plant anything that a deer will eat, planting
lavender with the other plants will keep out the deer. Dryed lavender
flowers will keep their smell. For best results, harvest lavender flowers as
the buds begin blooming. Hang them up-side-down in small bunches in a warm
area that gets good ventelation. The dryed lavender buds can be stripped and
used as bulk for potpourri, sachet or cooking. Lavender flowers can be used
in bokays and other flower arrangements. Lavender is also very pretty to
look at. Lavender flowers are edable and can be used raw in salads, added to
soups or stues, used as a seasoning, baked into cookies or brued as lavender
tea. I have had lavender in lavender tea and I have to say that it is my
favorite kind of tea. Leaves and the flowers are used in cooking and
medicen. The lavender oils are used in hygiene, medicen and cosmetic
products. Lavender can either replace other strong herbs or be blended with
herbs like mint and rosemerry. Lavender oil is used for pleasure, krafts and
perfume. It is also used to treat high stress, high blood pressure and
anything else from head akes to insomnia.

My Spieces of Interest:

English Lavender

Common Names:

English Lavender

common lavender

 true lavender

 narrow-leaved lavender

Lattin Names:

 Lavandula angustifolia

 Lavandula vera

Discription:

English lavender is a fragrent shrub that grows anywhere from 3 feet up to 6
feet tall. The evergreen leaves are 0.79 inches to 2.4 inches long and 0.16
inches up to 0.14 inches wide. The flowers are pinkish-purple or lavender
colored. The flowers are perduced on spikes that are 0.79 inches to 3.1
inches long and they grow on top of stems that are 3.9 inches to 12 inches
long.

Growing Requirements:

English Lavender lives in zones 5 to 8 and can stand cooler weather than
other kinds of lavender. This kind of lavender has simular requirements as
other kinds of lavender.

Interesting Facts:

English Lavender is an ordamental plant. It is also used in cooking, to ward
off pest, used in herbal teas, used in soaps and lotions and to treat high
stress.

Hidcote Superior

Common Names:

True Lavender

Hidcote Superior

Lattin Names:

Lavandula angustifolia

Discription:

 The foliage is silver-gray, and the flowers are deep violet-blue-colored.
The leaves are

evergreen and reach 2 in. long. Flowering occurs in summer, and the flowers
are ¼--½ in. long, form interrupted spikes, and have an attractive
fragrance. The leaves and the flowers are aromatic and have many uses.
Compact grower makes it ideal for lining walkways, the back of the herb
garden, or or for growing among roses and taller companion plants. This kind
of lavender is 20-36" High x 18" Wide.

Growing Requirements:

Lives in Zones 5-9. True lavender is soil and drought tolerant but performs
best in well-drained soil under full sun. Drainage is the most important

factor. Another thing useful to know: Growth can be slow and soft in heavy
soils, and a hardiness problem may appear. In good conditions, the growth
rate

is moderate.

Interesting Facts:

Deer don't like it

Sarah

Common Names:

Lattin Names:

Lavandula Sarah

Discription:

grows to 6-24 in, the flowers are petite, as is the plant, used as a short
edging, or as a very fragrant addition to the window box, dark violet

flowers. Blooms in Early Summer to Late Summer.

Growing Requirements:

Lives in zones 5-9. Preffers full sun and has many requirements as other
lavender spieces. Preffers normal to Sandy soil.

Interesting Facts:

Good for Dried Flowers, Deer Resistant, OK in containers - see FAQ for
overwintering, Fragrant , Attracts Butterflies, Good for

Cut Flowers.

Lady Lavender

Common Names:

Lattin Names:

Discription:

grows to 18 in, spreads to 16 in, fragrant, gray-green foliage and
lavender-blue flowers in summer. Is a perennial. Uses an indoor sow method.
Is used in Beds, Borders, Container, Dried Flowers. It blooms in Spring and
Summer.

Growing Requirements:

 prefers full sun, well-drained soil, low water, hardy

to -20°F. Lives in Zone: 6-10.

Interesting Facts:

It flowers the first year from seed, so this beautiful herb will

grow as an annual north of Zone 5. Compact habit, outstanding flower and
fragrance. It's excellent for edging, low hedges and containers. Height 16".
Burpee

Bred. Perennial in Zones 5-8. Grows best in full sun.