[Nfb-krafters-korner] my gardening with diapers

Michael Baldwin mbaldwin577 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 23 02:02:43 UTC 2012

Has nothing to do with the poop.
Has to do with the chemicals in the diapers.

Dioxins

Most disposable diapers are bleached white with chlorine, resulting in a
byproduct called dioxins that leach into the environment and the diapers.
According
to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), dioxins are among the
most toxic chemicals known to science and are listed by the EPA as highly
carcinogenic
chemicals. According to the World Health Organization, exposure to dioxins
may cause skin reactions and altered liver function, as well as impairments
to the immune system, nervous system, endocrine system and reproductive
functions.

Sodium Polyacrylate

Sodium polycarbonate is a super absorbent chemical compound that is used in
the fillers of many disposable diapers. It is composed of cellulose
processed
from trees that is mixed with crystals of polyacrylate. This chemical
absorbs fluids and creates surface tension in the lining of the diaper to
bind fluids
and prevent leakage. Sodium polyacrylate is often visible as small gel-like
crystals on the skin of babies and is thought to be linked to skin
irritations
and respiratory problems. This chemical was removed from tampons due to
toxic shock syndrome concerns. As it has only been used in diapers for the
last
two decades, there is not yet research on the long-term health effects of
sodium polyacrylate on babies.

Tributyl-tin (TBT)

Many disposable diapers contain a chemical called tributyl-tin (TBT).
According to the EPA, this toxic pollutant is extremely harmful to aquatic
(water)
life and causes endocrine (hormonal) disruptions in aquatic organisms. TBT
is a polluting chemical that does not degrade but remains in the environment
and in our food chain. TBT is also an ingredient used in biocides to kill
infecting organisms. Additionally, according to research published by the
American
Institute of Biological Sciences, tributyl-tin can trigger genes that
promote the growth of fat cells, causing obesity in humans.

Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)

Disposable diapers frequently contain chemicals called volatile organic
compounds (VOCs). These include chemicals such as ethylbenzene, toluene,
xylene
and dipentene. According to the EPA, VOCs can cause eye, nose and throat
irritation, headaches, damage to the liver, kidney and central nervous
system
as well as cancers.

Other Chemicals

Other chemicals often used in disposable diapers include dyes, fragrances,
plastics and petrolatums. Adhesive chemicals are used in the sticky tabs to
close
the diapers and dyes are used to color and make the patterns and labels that
mark diapers. Perfumes and fragrances are used in some disposable diapers
to help mask odors.

Michael