[Nfb-krafters-korner] hand positions for holding crochet hook and yarn

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Wed May 30 00:02:26 UTC 2012

Hello LM once again,

Actually I also feel my work when crocheting with my left hand because my
fingers on that hand are more sensitive. When I was six and learning to read
Braille I drove my first grade teacher crazy because I could not read with
my right hand. So I am a right-handed person but read and feel most crafts
with my left hand. My thought is that you should crochet in whatever manner
is most comfortable for you. don't worry about the "way" as much as whether
you are getting the result needed. when I taught the beginner crochet class
I began by describing what to do with each hand specifically during the
first week and some folks got confused, so the second week I simply
described what needed to be done and folks did it with whatever hand worked
and that was much easier for everyone.

Perhaps you can get a better tension on your chain stitches if you feel with
your left hand, then once you have completed the insertion of the hook, you
give a little tug with that hand to tighten or loosen the loop as much as is
needed. Also, simply relaxing and letting the stitches flow often is the key
to the problem of uneven tension. Keep practicing.

Cathy