[Nfb-krafters-korner] Holiday Market Marketing

River Woman riverwoman at zoominternet.net
Tue Nov 6 20:52:58 UTC 2012

Hi Jill,
Wouldn't that be wonderful to begin a project like that!
We are a group of only 12-14  artists who do this together.  It is so much
fun for us. We always have it on the first weekend of November - so people
come to expect to do it and to shop with us that weekend.  We see the same
people every year, plus new ones who hear about it through word of mouth or
see our ad in the newspaper or on Face Book.  We all share the cost of the
newspaper ad - it is only about 10. each - and of course FB is free for us
all.

We set the show up on Friday, and then we are open for business on Saturday
and Sunday.  We are talking about the possibility of having a wine and
cheese gala opening for it on Friday night next year.  We thought it might
attract people who would enjoy coming after work on Friday, or have a little
night out at our event.  The wine and cheese cost would be shared among us
all - so it would be very reasonable to do.

Oh, I forgot one other thing we do when the show is open to the public. We
have a refreshment area where we put out cookies and punch - all brought in
by the artists. Each of us brings something for this holiday treat table and
people just love it. It gives them a place to linger awhile and visit with
each other and then to shop some more. We do not provide any chairs for
sitting down on - that would encourage people to come in and eat and drink.
We figured out very early on that it is never a good idea to have people
sitting around eating at an art opening - it kills sales to do htat. We
found that out by experience!  lol

Lynda

Lynda Lambert
River Road Studio, Since 1976