[Nfb-krafters-korner] Old craft question

Henrietta Brewer gary.brewer at comcast.net
Tue Nov 20 01:45:56 UTC 2012

When I made the dolls, I use a lot of yarn around a piece of cardboard. I started by securing the top loops with a new piece of yarn that i knotted. Then I went down far enough to make a nice sized head and tied yarn around the neck.

I took a small part of the yarn on each side of the head and tied off for arms.

Then it was time to make the waist in the same manner. A doll in pants would have the remaining yarn divided in half and tied at the ankles. a skirt can be made by finding just enough yarn from in the middle of the bottom to make each leg and tie them at the ankles. Shorten the rest of the yarn a bit to show the feet from under the skirt.

Now, an octipus can be made by creating a head then dividing the yarn in eight pieces. Each piece can be braided or just tied at the legs.

Eyes and nose and even a mouth can be added with a bit of yarn of a new color and a tapistry needle. If you want to get creative you can make sure you have plenty of yarn to work with and cut hair before the neck tie is placed.

Have lots of fun and be sure to share your doll making with a youngster who can pass this idea on.