[Nfb-krafters-korner] loom cast on techniques

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 01:32:47 UTC 2012

cast on techniques

hello all,

I have been attempting to sort out the difference between the chain and
crochet cast on methods for the loom. finally I understand it and wanted to
share my understanding of it for those who are interested. try them both out
and see which you like best for different projects.

the crochet cast-on is the one I taught for the round coaster. the slip knot
is placed on the first peg and the working yarn is pulled to the inside of
the loom. you pull the working yarn through the loop already on the peg with
crochet hook or fingers to form another loop, which is on the inside of the
loom.  you then pull this new loop to the second peg and place it on that
peg, keeping your working yarn toward the inside of the loom.

next pull the working yarn through the loop on the second peg to form a new
loop, keeping the working yarn toward the inside of the loom, and the new
loop as well, and place the new loop on peg three. continue from there.

the chain cast on method is similar. you place a slip knot on the first peg.
bring your working yarn to the outside of the loom. pull the working yarn
through to the inside with a crochet hook or fingers to form a loop. the
working yarn end stays on the outside of the loom with the loop to the
inside. now pull that new loop over between pegs two and three, staying on
the inside of the loom. next, move your working yarn past the outside of peg
two. then pull the working yarn inside between pegs two and three to form a
new loop. keep working yarn on the outside and move the new loop between
pegs three and four on the inside . next, move the working yarn along the
front of peg three so that you can once again pull the working yarn through
to make another loop between pegs three and four. keep this new loop on the
inside of the loom and  continue from there.

so with the crochet cast on your loop is being made by pulling the new loop
to the next peg while with the chain cast on the loop on the peg is being
made by the working yarn wrapping around the front of each peg.

with the crochet cast on your working yarn stays on the inside of the loom
while with the chain cast on it stays on the outside of the loom.

if you are working in the round you end both of these cast ons  by placing
the loop on the first peg once again and knitting it off. if you are
knitting a flat panel, you place the last loop on the last peg and knit that
off.

I will be teaching the chain cast on as part of my January class, so if you
don't get it, never fear, you can wait for class, or of course ask me any
questions you have.

now there is another cast on called the cable cast on which I will probably
learn next. that is, if I am not too busy learning how to use my Mac by
then.

The more I learn, the more I want to learn!

Cathy