[Nfb-krafters-korner] all about the kiss loom from its maker

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 18:47:25 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Kelly posted info on the KKLK list for folks who were interested in knowing
more about the kiss looms. it was so interesting that I am posting it in
below to share with all of you.

"Saw you were asking about Kiss Looms so thought I'd give you some more
info.

What makes a Kiss Loom different?

Kiss Looms are the only true gauge adjustable loom on the market.  We use a
peg and pin system to make it adjustable.  Pegs are on one board and pins on
another - you simply add washers between the boards to make the gauge
larger.  You can knit with no washers for the smallest gauge or add up to
the 7 included washers to equal the KK gauge.  The great thing about the
pins is that they have a side effect of making nice even stitches and you
can wrap the whole row with a u-wrap stitch before knitting off.

What is a U-Wrap?

A u-wrap is a knit stitch that forms the traditional v-shaped stitches of a
stockinette fabric (all knit stitches).  The difference is that with the pin
system you can wrap the entire row then knit off.  This is similar to the
technique of the e-wrap on the KK's EXCEPT that you get the nice v-shaped
stitch.  An e-wrap is also called a twisted knit stitch because it is
literally twisted.  It forms a y-shaped stitch.

What is a 2-Way Adjustable?

The looms are adjustable in 2 different ways.  One way is the adjustable
gauge by adding or subtracting washers.  The other way it is adjustable is
by number of pegs to knit in the round.  Our end pieces, whether a single
peg slider or the larger ends can be be moved back and forth across the
sides to change the number of pegs to knit.  With the 1 peg sliders you can
move it all the way down to one end to knit a 4 peg i-cord in the round.

What is a Modular Loom?

A modular loom also has the gauge adjustable feature as most of our looms
but is a fixed number of pegs for knitting in the round.  The great thing
about the modular looms is that you can build a larger loom using the
straight and corner brackets.  Simply attach the modulars together into any
number of pegs you need whether you are knitting a flat panel or knitting in
the round.  Want to knit a king size blanket in one panel?  This is the loom
for you.

What is a Fixed Loom?

The fixed looms are the only ones that are not gauge adjustable.  In order
to get the small gauge needed for sock yarns the pegs and pins must be on
the same board.  Remember, the pin system is what makes for a nice even
stitch and allows you to wrap the whole row before knitting off.  There are
two types of fixed looms - fixed 1 and fixed 2.  The fixed 1 is the smallest
gauge you can get on a Kiss Loom.  The fixed 2 is a slightly larger gauge
and bridges the gap between the fixed 1 and small gauge looms.

Hope this helps!

Kelly

The more I learn, the more I want to learn.

Cathy