[Nfb-krafters-korner] Partially OT: Origami and NFB State Con Highlights

Terrence van Ettinger terrencevane at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 05:36:51 UTC 2012

Hello there!
 	We had our state NFB convention today and I just had to share a
few highlights, one crafting-related and the other just plain awesome! So
I'll start with the crafting stuff first. '-)
As some of you may know, I pretty much need to be always doing
*SOMETHING*. Well of course, these conventions tend to have a lot of
sitting in one place just listening for quite a while. My solution:
origami. I brought a fair bit of origami material with me, and one crane
that I finished up first thing while I was there that became a door prize.
It was most of a piece of wide Braille paper, with "nfbak" brailled on it
over and over again, filling the page. I finished that one fairly quickly,
and continued on with other various and sundry models. By the time pizza
and karaoke came around, I had a couple boxes, a few cranes, a  swan, and
a few pyramids all sitting out in front of me. The kids were all intrigued
with it all, and one asked me for a fortune teller, another wanted a
square box with a lid. By the end of the evening, I suggested to our
chapter president that this might be an activity to do in conjunction with
the parents' division. So I'll probably be talking to the local NOPBC
chapter president about doing an origami session. '-)
Now, the not-quite-crafting-related awesomeness: The same NOPBC president
I was just referring to, along with her sixth-grade daughter, came up with
the idea to have a community service project at convention. So after
lunch, we all trooped a short way down the hall to where an assembly line
was set up, and made I have no idea HOW many supply bags to share with the
homeless of our state...socks, granola bar, crackers, juice, etc. Stuff
that could easily be carried, say, on a bus trip, in a car, etc. and
offered to people in need. I know for a fact that there were *WAY* more
bags than there were people, because I was able to take a large paper
shopping bag full of them for when I'm walking around in some of the areas
I frequent that have a fair-sized homeless population. And the youth were
all enthusiastic about the project from start to finish! It was inspiring
to stand there, working with a whole group of blind folks from across the
state, all ages and walks of life, working to make even a brief difference
in the lives of people in need. It's definitely one convention agenda item
I'm not going to forget!!

Terrence, wowed but ready to sleep.

Facebook: www.facebook.com/anguslaren
Twitter: @LandrasGembar
Words/Hanging with Friends ID: terrencevak