[Nfb-krafters-korner] loom question

Cathy flowersandherbs at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:48:43 UTC 2012

Hi Tracy,

So glad to hear that you are beginning to learn how to knit on the loom. it
is one of the crafts of choice around here these days. There are several
knit stitches, none of them called the plain knit stitch, so I am not
certain which one you know. there is one called the eWrap or twisted knit
stitch, another called the flat knit stitch, a third called the u-wrap knit
stitch. A forth is called the true knit stitch. I thought I'd describe the
true knit stitch for you because it is the exact opposite of the purl
stitch, and you may as well know them both.

The true knit stitch is called "true knit" because when knitted, it looks
just like a stitch made on needles. It is done by placing the working yarn
above the existing loop on the peg, then taking your hook below the existing
loop and pulling the working yarn down through that loop, hold that new loop
in your fingers or on the hook, and at the same time, take the existing loop
off of the peg and replace it with the new loop. This will cause the first
loop to drop inside the loom to form a stitch. I have found it helpful to
pull the existing loop slightly away from the peg to enable me to more
easily insert my hook to grasp the working yarn.

Now the purl stitch is the exact opposite to the true knit stitch. In this
case you place the working yarn below, instead of above the existing loop on
the peg. You use your hook to reach down between the existing loop and the
peg to grasp the working yarn and pull it up above the existing loop to form
a new loop. . Hold that new loop with your fingers or the hook and at the
same time pull the existing loop off of the peg and let it fall inside the
loom creating a stitch, and replace that loop with the new loop.
Another hint worth mentioning is that it is important to keep your stitches
loose so that you can easily move loops on and off the pegs. This takes
practice. I find that I can create  looser stitches by actually setting down
my working yarn while I an pulling it through a stitch, and after creating a
stitch I check the new loop to be certain it is not tight. Giving it a
little tug will loosen it.

Have fun looming.

Cathy