[Nfb-krafters-korner] Kiss Looms

Blindhands at aol.com Blindhands at aol.com
Sun Oct 14 16:12:46 UTC 2012

K I S S ;looms.  They have a website.

In a message dated 10/13/2012 8:22:05 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
megsilkey at gmail.com writes:

Where  did you get the loom. Also how is it spelled? Please let know it
sounds like  it would be fun to learn to use.

Meg

Sent from my  iPhone

On Oct 12, 2012, at 11:54 AM, Blindhands at aol.com  wrote:

> I have been asked what KISS stands for in the name of Kiss  looms.
>
> Well here it is from the maker of Kiss  looms...
> Keep It Simple
>
> I have corresponded and spoke  to Cliff the maker of the Kiss Looms and
> Kelly his [maybe sales  person] and I am happy to say I received 3 sample
looms
> Cliff  asked me to test out.  My first try will be with the modular
loom.
> Let me give you a bit of a description on this one.   it has 4  sides to
> create the circle or round
>  Example Mine has 6 pegs on each side making it 24 pegs
> You can   purchase larger pairs or sets of these sides to create larger
or
> more  peg count  going around.    Example I can get a pair of 15 pegs
and by
> using  2 of my 6 pegs as sides I then would have 42 pegs  going in a
circle.
> They  have them ranging 6, 7, 8, 9, 10,  15, 30, 40, 60 and I think they
just
> came out  with a new  77  peg. Don't quote me on that.
>
> Now I need to describe  a big difference that you have with this and all
the
> Kiss  Looms.  Depending on the type of loom you purchase and from what I

> have been told[remember I can't see the website to compare the  looms],
but
> all  but the sock looms that are not adjustable in 2  directions [not
positive
> here on  the sock loom] , the modular  and adjustable looms have another
> piece of wood  with what they  call pins that are attached with large
screws that
> hold the row   of corresponding pins to align staggered to the pegs.
This
> is  where you  get the adjustment for thickness of yarn.  Washers can be
put
> between these  2 wooden strips that have the pegs and pins  attached.
Think
> as this being  the adjustment in using  different size knitting needles.
Each
> stitch is  made by  going around a knitting needle.  The larger the
knitting
> needle  the  more yarn you use to go around it.  So if you are using a
thin
> sock yarn  and large needle it uses more of the thin yarn to go  around
the
> large needle  making a loose knit stitch that gives a  lacey texture.
>
> When using this loom you start with the  yarn on the Peg. All pegs are a
> shaped wire.  This  allows you to put your  tool into the u shape to
slide
> up  and down for doing the stitch.  The circle of the U is on the top
and the
> base is into the wooden base.  Now the pins are straight  metal and  are
as
> long as the pegs to hold the size of the loop  constant.
>
> Using different weight yarns and adjusting the  stitch size:  With
knitting
> you would use different needle  sizes, with the kiss loom you adjust the
> different space  between the pegs and the pins.  To do this you add or
>  subtract washers between the 2 wood bases of the peg and pin piece.
>
> This is what I am loving about this loom you can use any  type of yarn
> thickness by adjusting the washers!  You can  even purchase extra washers
 and
> use cording or  whatever.
>
> There is at  least 5 or 7 washers that when  you receive your loom are
set
> up with it.   It comes set up  equal to what the Knifty Knitter is.  It
is
> suggested that   you start off with this size to become familiar with the
way
> you make  the  stitches on the Kiss loom.  You do not just use the E wrap

> stitch, but they  do have a few choices for cast on  stitches.  Working
the normal
> stitch for  the Kiss loom is  a U wrap.  This is just like the ribbon
candy.
> This  is  suppose to make a stitch like using knitting needles.  The e
wrap
> is a  ttwisted stitch  which especially for socks are not  suggested.
>
> I have not  gotten past this part so you need  to wait for my next report.
>
> I am really anxious to learn  about the 2 way adjustable loom.  That is
> what I want to  purchase besides the sock loom, but they definitely
advise not
>  to  jump into a sock loom to start off with.
> Joyce   Kane
> Blindhands at AOL.com

http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/nfb-krafters-korner_nfbnet.org/megsilkey%40gmail.com

Nfb-krafters-korner  mailing  list