[Nfb-krafters-korner] PC Vs. Mac

Terrence van Ettinger terrencevane at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 21:37:42 UTC 2012

Hi Cathy,
I'm actually typing this on a 6-year-old Mac running OSX Tiger--a 6-
year-old OS! '-) Though before I got  this one about 2 months ago I
had a 1-year-old MacBook Pro running OSX Lion. There is a quickstart
tutorial that comes up the first time you run VoiceOver (the screen
reader), and it walks you through all the different commands. It
actually has you do each command or set of commands before you move
on to the next section. The voice on the newer Mac OSes is quite
understandable, vastly improved from older speech synthesizers. (Can
you tell I miss my MacBook? LOL) Anyway, the one main difference in
how VO works compared to PC screen readers is that it has a sort of
top-down way of showing the screen. For example, in the web browser,
you see a toolbar and an HTML content area. To work with the items on
the toolbar, you "interact" with the toolbar, and then you can
navigate around the various options. Same goes for the HTML content
area when you're looking at the web page. I personally like it
because it's very focused--you don't just see a whole screenful of
text, but the sections of the screen are clearly defined.

Terrence