[Nfb-krafters-korner] Kumihimo (was Re: My own crafting pursuits)

Terrence van Ettinger terrencevane at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 15:47:55 UTC 2012

Hi Lindy,
The discs can be bought from a site called Primitive Originals,
though you can make your own easily enough if you have sturdy, thick
craft foam and/or that foam-filled poster-board stuff. In that case,
you cut out a round disc about 6 inches in diameter, with a 1-inch
hole in the middle and 8 slits equally spaced around the edge, as if
you were putting one slot in each compass direction. That'll get you
set for the 7-strand pattern. If you want to do more complicated
patterns, you'll need at least 16 slots equally spaced around the
edge. The more strands you have, the larger the number of slits you
need. So if you were to make a disc to do the 7-strand pattern, and
decided you wanted to do an 8-strand, you just put another slit
halfway between the slits you've already made and you're good to go.